Since an early age I've been creating, building and modifying the world in which we live. Raised by some master crafters, I've learned so many skills they all seem to have blended together into a meta-skill. I'm a creative problem solver and a college educated analyzer of businesses and systems. I bring a broad perspective having lived and worked in the most rural settings to the most modern of locals, and I'm at home everywhere I go.

Re-pointing an Interior Brick Wall

This is a brick wall that you will see go through a few stages.  I’m sparing you the incredibly messy process of taking the mortar out from between the bricks down to a depth of a inch or so.  The interior mortar in these walls was very sandy and prone to crumbling.  Heavy coats of polyurethane probably could have bound the mortar together tight, but that was by no means the desired look here in this room.  A few holes had to be repaired in this wall, and the flu area closed up.  Completely re-pointing these bricks in order to obtain a nice, mostly flat look was the way to go.  Once the new mortar was in, it was stronger than the brick itself for the grinding down process.  The Water seal at the end brought out the colors in the brick with out making them shiny (which would have wrecked the effect of the accent lights we designed into the ceiling to highlight this lovely wall and what ever ended up being displayed upon it.

Here is the wall before the mortar was removed from between the joints.

Here is the wall before the mortar was removed from between the joints.


The lower part of the wall has been re-mortared, the upper section is still dug out.


Off to the left of this picture, the wall is still looking pretty rough.


Here I am in the process of filling the mortar back into the wall. The flue has been closed off with metal and mortar.


Here is a larger area that has been re-pointed. This section will still be scrubbed with water and have the surface lightly ground down to remove excess mortar, and leave a nice clean brickface.



At this point the brick wall has a light coat of Thompson’s Water Seal. We wanted a mostly flat finish to the bricks in this instance.

One of many brick walls I have refurbished over the last decade in NYC.



The same brick wall, a few years down the line.





In place of real biographical information (which requires time and effort that has yet to be expended) let me just offer this brief bit. College Educated Academic Type with a Combined Business Major specializing in Analyzing Things. Coupled with an Artistic Earth-Centered Country-Raised Kid with an Expansive-Green-Organic Adulthood while being many things including Heretic Ecentric and Risk-Taker. In there somewhere, you might find some insight into the cognitive being known as Lee Semanek.

You may also like...

8 Responses

  1. Leonora says:

    lol… that is a cool idea! 😉

  2. I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re amazing! Thanks!

  3. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

  4. Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

  5. I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

  6. I was recommended this web site by way of my cousin. I am no longer positive whether this publish is written through him as nobody else know such specific about my difficulty. You’re incredible! Thank you!

  7. Ya i gotta agree i, good one. I bookmarked you on Digg.com under “Re-pointing an Interior Brick Wall | Lee”. Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.